Bowerman Insurance

Open Mon - Fri 8:30am-4:30pm

114 S. Mitchell Avenue

PO Box 288 Steele, ND 58482

P: (701) 475-2340 F: (701) 475-2499

Frequently Asked Questions

What is included in my Homeowner’s Insurance policy? What should I keep in mind before buying a policy?

Your homeowner’s insurance covers your house, permanent fixtures and fittings, garden walls, gates, fence, pool, and your personal belongings. This policy protects you from specific types of home-related accidents and incidents. The most common types are fire, theft, and vandalism. In case you are unable to stay in your home due to accidents or other incidents, the policy provides additional living expenses, such as hotel expenses. It also provides liability protection. Ideally, the amount of coverage should be sufficient to replace your home and property, and also cover your liabilities. If you stay in a flood or earthquake-risk area, you should separately purchase flood/earthquake insurance, because homeowner’s insurance usually doesn’t cover floods and earthquakes.

Can I increase or decrease the amount of insurance on personal items in my home?

Your personal property coverage usually reflects 50 percent of your home insurance coverage. It may be increased or decreased, depending upon state requirements.

Can I lower my home insurance premium?

Yes, you can lower your homeowner insurance premium by asking for discounts on your current policy, holding multiple insurance policies with your insurance carrier, and raising your deductible.

What happens to me if I drive without auto insurance?

If you are involved in an auto accident and found to be driving without car insurance or proof of financial responsibility, you will be subject to penalties specific to the laws of your state. That could include a fine, or even loss of driving privileges. If you are uninsured and in an accident that involves property damage or injuries to people, you will be required to pay on your own for any damages assessed by a court.

What do I do if I see a car accident?

First, you need to notify the police. You should also exchange information with the other driver(s) involved in the accident. Next, you should immediately contact your insurance company, and do what the insurance company advises you to do.

Why do I have a deductible?

One of the purposes of a deductible is to lower the premium cost. The higher your deductible is, the lower the premium cost will be.

How much Homeowner's Insurance should I have?

Generally you want to have enough insured to cover the Replacement Costs of the home.